Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mean vs. Nice


We are taught as Christians to turn the other cheek. But how do you handle someone who is mean and doesn't get it; meaning, themselves. Someone who has no clue that they are railroading everyone and everything in their path. In addition to this, they don't think there is a problem because everyone turns the other cheek (literally) because they don't want to make 'waves'.

No one is saying anything because: 1. they are trying to deal with this person and still be nice, 2. the person in question has been confronted before and really doesn't get it. No matter how hard you try it keeps going on and on.

How much is too much and when does it hurt us personally to continue our interactions? Here is the clincher, what do you do if it is (now) someone you are related to?

I understand forgiveness. I know about letting things go. But, if it continues, there is nothing that says you have to stay in 'its' presence. The balance between doing what you feel you should do and trying to help this person before it is too late. Problem: I can not change someones heart. I also am tired of putting myself together over and over again, over things that are of no consequence in this great test called life.

3 comments:

  1. I think you answered your own question. You cant control what other people do. You can only control how you re-act to them. That person doesnt know they are being mean. And telling them to change is not going to work. Families are hard because you are putting so many differant personalities together. Everyone has to learn to to get along because we are family and in the end thats all we have got. I always look at it this way. There are many people in my family that has hurt my feelings many times and I am sure I have done the same to them....and didnt even know I did it. I just forgive them....because they also forgive me. Also the struggle is so many lessons at church say we choose to be offended. We need to step back look at the situation and love like christ did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When little gnats are annoying we swat them away. We don't pay them anymore attention. We have more important things to attend to in our lives. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete