Thursday, January 28, 2010

'Pinewood Derby Days'


My husband is in Cub Scouts, although my son is only 6. Seems weird, but I think it is preparation for what is to come. Pinewood Derby was tonight. Logan wants to go with dad so bad to 'Scouts' every week. He was so excited not only that he got to go to 'Scouts', but you should of seen the look on his face when the first set of cars raced.

I have to say I think that these types of moments are when being a mom is fun. Not just that he was excited, but that something so simple (to us adults) puts that much joy into his little body. Makenzie, 3, and Porter, 2, thought the whole event just as mesmerizing.

We as parents have a lot of forces pushing us from all sides to give the best to our children. The more the better, the bigger the better, the more expensive the better. Somehow this is not what I think our Heavenly Father wants us to instill into our children. I think it takes 'Pinewood Derby Days' to stop and reflect.

My children would love to go to Disneyland (I have no doubt of this). As a matter of fact, I would love to go to Disneyland. This kind of trip is just not in the cards at this juncture. As much as I hate to tell 'ya guys; it doesn't take a 6 hour car ride, gas money, expensive 3 day passes, roller coasters, mouse hats, hotels, and princesses to make our children happy. Today watching little scouts, helped by big scouts, race some little funky wooden cars they made (with the utmost of care), painted in all fashion, is all it took to astound and thrill a little 6 year old redheaded boy.

1 comment: